The Lab Technician is responsible for preparing chemical solutions and performing a variety of wet chemistry tests on incoming wastes and finish products. Assures compliance to Q.A./Q.C. specifications and meets all local, county, state and federal compliance requirements. Uses, cares, and provides preventive maintenance to laboratory equipment. Coordinates with outside facilities for supplies needed as replacement and equipment. Primary responsibility is to ensure quality control in all activities of the plant. Effective management to outcomes and timelines is critical to success in this role. Excellent listening skills and accuracy are essential.
Critical Job Functions:
1. Collect and record data required for compliance.
2. Perform sampling and testing per ASTM standards of incoming water, oil, and chemical products received by the plant as well as discharge water and oil deliveries.
3. Maintain a load tracker including logistical and analytical data for each load received.
4. Enter analytical data in SAP for received loads.
5. Manage receiving, copying, and filling various types of documentation.
6. Order laboratory supplies. Make PO in SAP and contact vendors.
7. Interpret test results using professional expertise and industry knowledge.
8. Ensure all accepted loads are non-hazardous and fully compliant with local, state, and federal regulations. Reject loads when we are not permitted to accept the waste stream.
9. Make processing decisions based on test results. Proactively communicate with Lab Manager and Facility Manager when in doubt.
10. Responsible for companywide accurate and precise practices in collection of all samples.
11. Coordinate maintenance of Lab equipment with Lab Manager.
12. Calibrate and operate equipment per operating manual and ASTM.
13. Interact with all levels of company management, external experts and vendors.
14. Provide updates to Lab Manager regarding work performed & deliverables.
15. Ability to function within a matrix organization and drive collaboration to execute project actions in ambiguous situations, with a sense of urgency.
16. Responsible for maintaining samples in storage per CBI policies.
17. Assure that chemicals, reagents, and solutions used are within shelf life.
18. Wears personal protective equipment as required.
19. Complies with all safety and good housekeeping regulations and policies.
20. Maintains working inventory of all necessary reagents and solutions to maintain an uninterrupted testing operation in the laboratory.
21. Lift boxes (20 lb minimal).
22. Organize and maintain files per our permits’ recordkeeping requirements.
23. Assist Lab Manager and work on R&D testing and evaluation.
24. Communicate company policies and procedure to plant employees and drivers.
25. Any other duty as assigned
Reports directly to the Lab Manager and reports indirectly to the Plant Manager.
Able to work with minimum supervision.
Ability to pass background check and drug screen required as condition of employment.
Full time job (May be afternoon shift and/or weekends)